Sunday, October 9, 2011

Feels like home :)

This evening I returned from my first excursion outside of Vienna (other than Carnuntum).  I still haven't left Austria, but that will happen in time. 

The trip was full of good company, long bus rides, and open air museum, roasted chestnuts, lots of stairs, gorgeous views, a wine festival, a dog named Jamie, lots of vineyards, lederhosen and dirndls, and some really good food.  I actually ate a Berliner.  I had to get it just because of the quote "Ich bin ein Berliner." from a speech by JFK underlining the US's support for West Germany.  Unfortunately, it turns out that the whole thing was a misconception and it is in fact gramatically correct.  He did not say that he was a jelly donut.

So, there actually isn't that many interesting things to say about this weekend and my camera died halfway through the second day.  However, as we drove through the streets of Vienna on the return trip, recognizing the streets and the stores, and the neighborhoods, it became very real to me that this feels like home.  We stepped out of the bus, I was bundled up in my winter jacket, scarf, and new glittens, and it was cold.  It made me feel more at home now that the weather is recognizable.  Cold weather really is something that I enjoy.  Being all bundled up and cozy, until it gets so cold that your face is slightly burning, is a really nice comfort and reminder of home.  As much as I miss Chicago and Indiana, Vienna is really becoming my home now.  I think this excursion has really helped me realize how much I appreciate the opportunities that I'm a part of here. 

I can't wait for some more weekend trips.. if only for the feeling I get upon return to Vienna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment