Monday, October 17, 2011

Halfway mark.

Wow!  I hadn't realized how long it's been since I posted last, but I was incredibly busy this entire week and weekend!

I think I forgot to write about one of the concerts.. but i don't remember.  Here's the latest:

Mahler Symphony No. 7 with the Wiener Symphoniker.  This was a very impressive concert.   I had only heard them on mendelssohn and mozart, so I wasn't sure what would happen, but it was solid!  The horns were powerful and had a great blended sound.  The strings were great, the woodwinds were solid.  The trombones had a nice powerful sound, the tenor horn was good.  He was a little sharp on some of the solo notes, but he really got the character down.  Trumpets were the most powerful of the brass, they reeeeally cut through everything else and were riding the orchestra.  They are still not the sound that I'm used to in the states b/c they're rotary, but man were they strong.  They got tired for the high notes in the last movement, but they squeezed them out.  The one big thing that I was dying for the entire time was SUSTAIN.  It was just not there.  Longer phraaaaaases. keep goingggggggg!!!  pleeeeeeease!!  But it was a very fun concert to attend!

I was supposed to see Die Zauberflöte the next night, but I got a migrane and decided it was a horrible idea to try to stand for 3 1/2 hours for an opera. haha.  So, I'll go on wednesday and tell you about it then!!

I went to Salzburg this weekend!  The highlights include:
-climbing up to the Fortress for the absolutely gorgeous view of the city

-eating orginal Mozart Kugeln

-going to my first Brauerei (brewery)

-a quick stop at Mozart's wohnhaus (apartment), and a longer stop at his Geburtshaus (birthhouse).  I actually stood in the room that Mozart was born in (below)! and I wasn't supposed to take any of the picture I took!  I only got yelled at once though :)
This museum was really cool.  There was so much information and interesting things there.  They had a bunch of mini sets to his operas, scores from his music, letters to and from his family members (One of the letters was really adorable and you could tell how much he really cared for his wife, Constanze.  It was very sweet.), the actual piano that he composed Magic flute, and the Requiem on, and lots of other interesting things from the time.

-seeing many amazingly beautiful baroque cathedrals (This one is St. Peter's cathedral) (i hope.. there were a lot)

-hearing Mozart's C-minor Mass (in that cathedral ^^)
-seeing several places from the Sound of Music movie including the gazebo where the song "16 going on 17" is sung, the fountain where they sing "Do, a Deer", and the cemetery where they hide at the end.


As we get back into Vienna, I prepare for a week of excitement!  This is what's on my plate:

STUDY.  german midterm saturday, music history midterm and philosophy midterm paper due next monday.
PRACTICE. lesson #4 on wednesday, dress rehearsal for our first IES concert, Die Zauberflöte at the Staatsoper, thursday is our IES concert (leading the Tannhäuser for 5 horns, 3 tbones), Daniel Barenboim at the Musikverein, and friday is a Palatschinken party!!!! 

As I continue to plan things like crazy, attempt getting all my homework done, and do everything I want to do, the weeks  begin to go by quicker than ever.  It was just yesterday that it was "already friday".. nope that was 2 weeks ago that I felt like that.  Now it's already 2 weeks later!!  If you understand that thought process, you understand how crazy it feels.  I've planned out most of the last 2 months.  Today is officially the halfway point.  Aug. 17th we arrived. Today is Oct. 17th.  We leave Dec. 17th.  Not to give anything away, but this is the temporary plan for the weekends that are left:
 
Vienna (for midterms), Salome backstage behind the horns!!!!
midterm week, because I'm done after monday! Vienna phil rehearsals monday/tuesday!!! Poland or Rome?
Vienna
Italy- Lesson with Luca!
Vienna- parents arrive on sunday!!!
Ski trip
Vienna- Solo Recital for anyone who wants to perform (aka me!)
Berlin- Lesson with Sarah Willis!!
Chicago!
 
Lots to do.. not much time to do it in...  I'm ready!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment