Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ich Liebe Wien!

Today was the official 2nd day in Vienna!  It's wonderful!  I love it!!!

Ok, so Vienna.  We are all soooo busy all the time.  We get up early, we sit through long info sessions, we have 3 hours of german class, and then we do all the necessaries for the rest of the day.  Today after class, Ross and I went to Mariahilferstraße, after getting on the wrong U-bahn (subway system).  But we made it to Mariahilferstraße, which is the main shopping street in Vienna.  So much walking.

It's also unbelievable hot here and Austrians are very concerned with energy conservation, so there is almost no air conditioning!  Ryan, Ross, and I were practicing in one of the practice building near our apartments, and I was almost as sweaty as if I took a run.  Ohh, what we endure in order to practice!  ;)  But even while not practicing, there is a constant layer of sweat on my face.  It's marvelous.  We all can't wait for winter!

My german intensive class.. is REALLY intense.  lol.  The teacher pretty much only speaks german unless we are all completely flabbergasted as to what she's saying.  We are pretty much only conversing auf Deutsch now.  It's hard, but it's a much better system I think than just learning grammar.  I really like my teacher too.  She's really nice and adorable and super sweet.  She's very patient with us too :)  This is her best trait I think.  :D

So, they've told us it's completely normal for people to stare in Vienna.  Just a little cultural difference.  So, I've had a couple stare off's with people just to see if they really did.  Every time I end up kind of laughing and they think I'm crazy.  No big deal.  haha.  It's also kind of fun to realize that I can stare at them too, so I've become a lot more observant instead of averting my eyes upon contact.

The Vienna night life seems pretty amazing.  As we were walking home from school, OH. By the way, I go to school in a Palace and it's 2 blocks away from Stephansdom!  OH YES.  Ok anyway, we were walking home from school through the streets of Vienna and there was a group of people dressed up and dancing with a little group of instrumentalists playing along.  At one point they were playing the chicken dance and actually doing the dance! haha. I loved it.  There was also a couple that were completely covered in gold paint or something else and they were posed as statues and keeping completely still.  It was incredible.  Lots of people were taking pics with them.  Also, one guy was out there all day in a burger kind crown and a cape and shorts only doing some strange dancing on a bucket... yea.  Another strange man was sitting in all black clothing and his face was painted black and he was just looking around.  When you're used to the homeless people of chicago, drunk on the sidewalks or begging, and you get these people, it throws you off juuust a wee bit. :)  But I'm loving it.

I guess I'll see what the real "night life" is like tonight b/c Rosa, my RA, is taking us to a club.  Apparently Tuesday is the night to go out in Vienna.  I've got some german Hausaufgaben to finish!  Then out we go!  Gute Nacht!  More picture on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment